Sunday, March 4, 2012

Time Is Ticking For My Redheaded Step-Son

Yes, I really do have a redheaded step-son!  He is 19 years old and a wonderful young man with strong family values.  Typical young man who has to experience life for himself.  Not sure what he wants to do with his life, but wants to make his own way.  I admire his desire to take on personal responsibility.  He lives with his dad and has to pay rent, car, phone, insurance and food.  He gets employed for three months through a temp agency to work in factories.  He currently is on his third factory working long hours and broke.  He owns two cars and just sold the third one.  One car is broke down and the other is a Vista Cruiser, a real gas hog getting 4 miles to the gallon.  Recently, he commented to his friends that he is considering getting another more economical car.  Young people his age responded to him to get another job to make more money. His 15 year old brother suggested he get a more economical car and keep his Vista Cruiser to cruise around town.  The 15 year old likes the joy rides he gets with his older cool brother - gotta keep the car!


Wait a minute: Really, get another job to make more money?
Seriously, what are we teaching young people today?  We are punching the clock more today than we were 15 years ago.  Most families have less time at home with both parents working a job.  Most people seeking retirement are trying to get two or three jobs to retire from to live comfortably and have a retirement.  What we have been doing all along is a broken system of working on hope.  Work, work, work, and hope for a retirement or a promotion.  We need to teach our children a better way of balancing their time for dollars.  Make their money work for them instead of them always working for the dollar.  Yes, initially work for the dollar and learn to properly invest it to work for them.  I am not suggesting mutual funds either.

Great point: but what am I doing about it?
It is right in my own face with my boy.  I am trying to show him a better way to live and introduce him to people his age that are listening and making it happen.  If you raise kids they go with the norm of their peers and parents don't know a thing.  Well for my boy I took him out for lunch today and bought only him a juicy steak meal.  The young man about fell all over himself getting a break from food in a vending machine and Raman Noodles. I am not happy he is living the way he is nor how his dad treats him.  I explained to him a business concept that is working for a young man his own age, who doesn't have a job and is free!  This young man is profiting $5,000 plus a month.   I think the 12 - 15 hours a day, swing-shift, for six days a week is not setting too well for my boy.  He has to learn his own way, I hope not for too long.  

Break the cycle people!
Yes, there is a better way to live and not have to get another job!  There is a better way to spend quality time with your family!  There is a better way to experience freedom!  Be committed to your dream!  Be dedicated to work for your dream!  Know you are actually doing something to get financially free and make the income you desire and with people who want to see you succeed.  No I am not talking about getting rich quick.  I am talking about helping people to spend more time with their family and feel less stressed and happy.  I am talking about living healthier too!  Interested?  Then contact me!  I believe my boy is beginning to see what I have been sharing with him.  He is young and needs to experience life for himself to really understand the struggle so many of us have come to understand over the years.  Together we can break the cycle!
   

2 comments:

  1. I agree with you! and have learned....you can lead a horse to water....
    good luck!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! So true & there is plenty of water! Gotta add some flavor! LOL!!

      Delete